Friday, July 5, 2013

"Globe" squash Enchilada stacks


So I've seen this little beauty in numerous recipes all over pinterest, but I've never seen them in my grocery store..until today! I'm SO glad too. This squash really is versatile and has a faint taste so its great to sub into recipes calling for lasagna noodles or tortillas. In this recipe, I used it to make Enchilada stacks, and they were delicious. It had all the flavor as typical enchiladas but without the extra carbs, and one was filling enough with a side of "refried" black beans. 
With this recipe I also made my family a regular enchilada pie using the same ingredients but with tortillas instead of the squash, if your planning on just making say 4 stacks, half the recipe.

Enchilada Stacks
1.5 pounds lean ground beef (or turkey)
Shredded Mexican blend cheese
1 Globe squash, thinly sliced
1/2 white onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
handful of olives
S & P
garlic powder
cayenne pepper
paprika
cumin

Cook the meat in a skillet over medium high heat along with the peppers and onions. Add in the spices to your liking. If your using extra lean meat there shouldn't be any fat to drain after cooking, if there is line a colander with paper towels and pour the meat in to drain. 
While this is cooking slice your squash really thin. 


I used three slices per stack.
Spoon in enough red sauce to cover the bottom of a small square pyrex dish. Place your first slices in the dish, spoon some of the meat mixture on top, a spoonful of sauce and a sprinkle of cheese.



 Repeat with the next layer. Top it off with more sauce, cheese, and olives if wanted.
Bake in the over at 350 for about 30 min until the cheese is melted and the squash looks wilted a bit.


My squash was still a little crunchy ( I cooked it for 20 min), but I didn't mind..it was soooo delicious!






No comments:

Post a Comment