Sunday, June 9, 2013


I love mexican food. But, when I used to make enchiladas with red sauce they were only half enjoyable because of the "twang" taste from the sauce. I really wasn't found of it so I decided to see what I could do about it :)

I came across a recipe for home made sauce, and oh my goodness it tastes  a million times better, is SUPER simple, and is a lot lower in sodium and other additives.



Red Enchilada Sauce

1 tbsp canola oil
1 small sweet yellow onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp chile powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp oregano
1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
1 tsp honey

Heat the canola oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add in the minced garlic, chile powder, cumin, coriander, and oregano and stir constantly for 1 minute.  Put in the tomatoes (crushed by hand using either a wisk or a potato masher) and juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste and add the honey then cover with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes.
After the sauce has simmered for 30 minutes, blend the sauce with an immersion blender (or regular blender) until smooth. Taste and re-season if needed.The end. Super simple and way tasty!!!



I used the sauce to make Turkey enchiladas, below is that recipe.

Turkey enchiladas

1 Package of Jennie-O extra lean ground turkey
1 small can of diced green chilis
1/2 of a yellow onion, chopped
Chili powder
Cumin
garlic powder
S & P
Paprika
Mexican blend cheese
Olives if you like
Red sauce
Whole wheat tortillas

Cook the meat in a large skillet with the onions and spices. I don't usually measure my spices but I would go twice around the pan making sure to get enough so you have good flavor. Let the meat cook and cool slightly before trying to roll up the enchiladas.

Spoon some of the red sauce along the bottom of a 13x9 pan. Take one tortilla and lay it down in the pan, spoon in some meat, sprinkle of cheese and roll it up like a burrito. Continue to do this until you run out of room in the pan. You can squish them together to usually get one more in the pan if you'd like. Pour the red sauce on top and spinkly with more cheese. Bake in the oven at 375 for around 20-30 min until the cheese and sauce is bubbly.

I like to serve it with a corn and avocado salad :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment